Tuesday, October 9, 2012

One step forward...

Wow, one month and not much has happened on the decluttering front.  Excuses...work at job #1 started, then I got offered job #2, and had to remove myself from job #1.  But, job #2, begun today, should be fantastic. 

However, I have begun to take photos of Grammy's handmade items, those that are too worn or dirty to keep, and are destined to the landfill.  Here's a peek (wonder who I inherited the yarn obsession from?)  The penguin is stuffed with Gram's used pantyhose.



Right now, these items and a number of others are sitting in a plastic bag, waiting for me to put them in the trash.  I still feel a little twinge of, "maybe I should just put them in a box and wait a while....".  But, they've sat in boxes for the past 20 years and is life in a box worth more or less than life in a landfill? 

That said, the decluttering also makes me think of our disposable society and how I don't want to unclutter my house, just to clutter up some other part of the globe with my discards.  I suppose that's part b of minimalism...getting rid of the superfluous and NOT replacing it with new things.

1 comment:

  1. you could burn the stuff. that would take up less space than in a landfill and you could mix it with soil. not that you want to burn your grammy's things. just a thought.

    ReplyDelete