Monday, September 10, 2012

Working on it

This weekend I took a load of items to Value Village.  These items had been sitting in the basement in piles for, probably, two months.  It felt really good to get rid of the piles of unnecessary items.  Exhilarating, almost..., enough to make me want to do it again, soon.  And this is something I need to guard against.  I don't want to trade the thrill of getting for the thrill of getting rid of...and throw out something I'll regret losing.  Is that anti-minimalist?  probably.

My current struggle is what to do with all of the various craft items given to me by my grandmother.  I've always been crafty...cross stitch, sewing, knitting and other crafts have cluttered up my life (as well as providing necessary and useful therapy, in the case of knitting).  I come by this honestly, as my grandmother was a quilter and crocheter, and I have a number of stuffed animals and quilts that she made me as a young girl.  I wasn't particularly close to my grandmother.  She is one of the many women in my life that I struggle to distance myself from.  I haven't had a wealth of fantastic female role models in my immediate family, and have sought them in other families and in other arenas.  So why do I keep all of these things?  Isn't one or two items from my grandmother enough?  Why is it so hard for me to put a quilt, an afghan of hers in the pile for Value Village, or in the trash?  

No comments:

Post a Comment